Unitus Seed Fund is a $23 million seed-stage investment fund based in Bangalore and Seattle that invests in startups serving large, underserved low-income populations in India. We help startups “prepare for growth” via seed funding, strategic & operating support, providing critical connections, and securing growth capital.
Unitus Seed Fund’s India Impact Acceleration Program (announced in September 2014) intends to improve and accelerate the early-stage impact startup ecosystem across India with a three-part approach:
- Finding impact entrepreneurs from cities representing all of India by hiring startup scouts in different cities to meet entrepreneurs and connect them with funding and incubation resources early in their development cycle.
- Working with Speed2Seed partners – leading business incubators/accelerators to help create more venture-ready graduates of those incubators, enabling faster time-to-market and more scalability.
- Deploying Unitus’ growing Catapult Partner and Venture Advisor networks to help businesses thrive, achieving their aspirations for scale, impact, and profitability.
Our India Impact Acceleration Program is made possible in part by a Global Development Alliance with the U.S. Global Development Lab which is a new entity within USAID that seeks to increase the application of science, technology, innovation and partnerships to achieve, sustain and extend USAID’s development impact to help hundreds of millions of people lift themselves out of extreme poverty.
Sourcing Across India – Finding the best entrepreneurs
The majority of our existing investments are from South India. We are investing to grow our presence and relationships across multiple metros in India in order to find and support the best entrepreneurs wherever they are based!
In addition to our team in Bangalore, we are hiring Startup Scouts in multiple cities across India in order to make more investments beyond South India. Startup Scouts will connect with entrepreneurs, investors, and other startup ecosystem players in each city.
Our Current Cities: Bangalore (Headquarters), Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Bhubaneswar, Coimbatore.
Meet our current Startup Scouts >
We are still looking for scouts in other India metros! If you are interested in becoming one, please get in touch with us.
Speed2Seed: Working with India’s Best Business Accelerators and Incubators & Preparing Entrepreneurs to be Venture Capital-Ready
Very few business incubators and accelerators in India have produced startups that have received venture capital investment. We are looking to partner with a dozen or more of India’s best incubator and accelerator leaders to help them train more entrepreneurs to build plans that are attractive for venture capital investment.
- Incubator or accelerator currently training entrepreneurs of whom at least a few per cohort are looking to serve mass low-income populations
- Companies operating in the sectors in which we focus
- A sincere desire for assistance to access global best-practices, improve curriculum and extend mentoring opportunities
If your incubator meets the criteria above, please get in touch with us >
India Startup Assistance – More professionals, mentors and advisors to help startup companies thrive
Unitus Seed Fund has established networks of individual Venture Advisors (business advisors and experts) and Catapult Partners (startup-oriented professional services firms) to support our portfolio companies with mentoring, project-based consulting, and long-term engagements in a variety of areas, from corporate strategy to human resources to go-to-market planning and more. We are expanding these networks and also offering financial assistance to existing and potential portfolio companies to facilitate engagements.