Launched in December 2014, StartEdu Competition is Unitus Seed Fund’s flagship education initiatives that seeks to identify, incubate and invest in early-stage education and ed-tech startups. Through StartEdu, Unitus Seed Fund continues to partner with like-minded organizations such as Sylvant, S Chand Publishers, Pearson Affordable Learning Fund, Integra and TiE chapters nationwide to combine for-profit seed investing, technical assistance and mentorship to accelerate the pace of development of promising early-stage education startups that can effectively bring quality education to the masses.
Since inception, of StartEdu, the Unitus Seed Fund team has run 4 editions of competitions, received over 700 applications, mentored nearly 100 entrepreneur teams and invested in 1 startup – LabInApp.
What does the StartEdu competition offer?
- Up to INR 3 crore ($450K) of conditional seed venture capital and support from Unitus Seed Fund, its investing partners to prepare for growth and raise scale-up capital.
- Hands-on support from StartEdu’s growing partners and access to extended expert networks of StartEdu partners and Unitus Seed Fund across India.
- Access to city-based intensive bootcamps that focus on growth strategies, business and financial plans.
See the winners of StartEdu Competition 4.
- The startup must be headquartered in India.
- The startup must be serving low and/or middle-income students in India.
- The startup must be established as a legal entity. In the last one year, the startup’s investment funds must not have exceeded INR 1 crore, individually.
- The startup should have at least one Founder or Co-Founder working full-time.
- The pitch should entail a company and product/service, not of a product/service that is part of a bigger company.
StartEdu Competiton Partners
For the StartEdu 2016 Edition, we also partnered with -
S Chand Publishing is India's oldest and the largest publishing and education service enterprise. In 2013, Forbes India named it as the fastest growing player in the education sector, and the group claims to sell 15000 titles amongst 20 million students spread across 40,000 schools and educational institutes.
TiE is a not for profit organization focused on fostering entrepreneurship across every generation all over the world. TiE currently has 61 chapters across 18 countries with a membership base of over 13,000.
Our StartEdu Investments
LabInApp is a 3D interactive virtual laboratory tool that aims to focus on heuristic approach of understanding science. The company’s real-time 3D computer graphics technology promotes the ‘learn by doing’ pedagogy, enhancing the ability of teachers to deliver live demonstration of experiments, concepts and complex ideas in a controlled environment. Read more here >
If you are an education or ed-tech startup innovating for the masses and are seeking seed funding, we would love to meet you! Click the button below to fill out your information.