Unitus Seed Fund invests in healthcare startups innovating for the masses in India
In India, on one hand, there are state-of-the-art healthcare delivery centres and on the other, there is a significant dearth of trained manpower across the country. As a result, for more than 70% people, healthcare services are either inaccessible or unaffordable.
At Unitus Seed Fund, we believe technology and low-cost innovation are playing a crucial role in bridging these gaps. With healthcare being a core focus area, we continually look to invest in early-stage startups that have the potential to increase access and affordability of healthcare in India. Our healthcare seed funding may be pre-supported by a grant (non-dilutive capital) through our StartHealth Grant Capital.
Our StartHealth Program
Our experience through evaluation of over 200 healthcare deals in the last few years revealed a common pattern - a solid idea, backed by a great team yet not seed ready - challenged by lack of capital that could enable the company to progress to seed level. The startup’s development is throttled by clinical trials, prototype development, access to experts, access to data - all this primarily due to lack of capital and required network. Hence, in 2015, we added a component of non-dilutive capital to our investment structure primarily for healthcare deals. Our partner Pfizer backed us in bringing this capital as part of our fund.
Launched in February 2015, StartHealth Program is Unitus Seed Fund’s flagship healthcare initiative that aims to identify, nurture and invest in innovative startups that are driving affordable, inclusive healthcare solutions. Our StartHealth Program provides infusion of non-dilutive (grant) catalytic capital prior to seed funding and capacity building through our partners for early-stage startups.
What does the StartHealth program offer?
- Up to INR 1.75 crore ($250K) of non-dilutive capital to fund immediate pre-commercialisation business progress for 12 – 24 months.
- Up to INR 3.5 crore ($500K) of conditional seed venture capital that is conditioned on mutually defined milestones in order to achieve business progress and commercialization readiness.
- Support from Unitus Seed Fund and its investing partners to prepare for growth and raise scale-up capital.
- Hands-on support from Healthcare partners – PATH, GE Healthcare, Manipal Hospitals and Narayana Health and access to extended expert networks in India and globally.
- Access to Manipal Hospitals and Narayana Health’s facilities for pilots and market testing.
Areas of interest for catalytic grants/seed Investment
- Innovative devices that have the potential to serve masses
- AI enabled innovations
- Home Health services for masses
- Health Insure-Tech
- Single Speciality clinics with capital light models
Our Healthcare Portfolio
If you are an early-stage startup working in the sectors of our interest, and are seeking funding, please reach out to us through the links below.