Unitus Seed Fund is a part of the Unitus Group, a leader in early-stage equity and debt capital market development for businesses serving low-income (base of the economic pyramid or “BoP”) populations in India, Southeast Asia, China, Africa and Latin America markets. Affiliates of the Unitus Group include:
- Unitus Equity Fund is the first commercially-funded venture fund focused on early-stage microfinance institutions. Managed by Elevar Equity.
- Unitus Impact is actively investing in early-stage businesses which create BoP livelihoods opportunities.
- Unitus Capital is the leading financial advisory firm in India focused raising capital for businesses serving BoP populations.
- Unitus Seed Fund invests in startups which create opportunities for large low-income populations in developing countries.
- Unitus Labs, a public nonprofit, incubates ventures with promising scale-up potential.
Indian Impact Investors Council (IIIC)
Unitus Seed Fund is a founding member of the Indian Impact Investors Council (IIIC), a member-based industry body that aims to catalyze the growth of the impact investing sector in India. The main objectives of IIIC are:
- Impact Measurement and Standardization: Set standards for impact investing in India and function as the nodal body for impact measurement and reporting; develop impact assessment and measurement frameworks
- Research and Policy Support: Engage with policy makers to facilitate creation of a conducive policy framework for the impact investor community
- Brand Building/ Public Affairs: Strengthen the India impact sector story by disseminating information about the impact sector
Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
Unitus Seed Fund is a member of the Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN). The GIIN is the leading nonprofit dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing. Impact investments are made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. Impact investments can be made in both emerging and developed markets, and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon the circumstances. Our membership signifies a commitment to deepening our engagement in the impact investing industry.
Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
Unitus Seed Fund is also a member of the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE). ANDE is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Our membership with ANDE connects us with global and regional networks of like-minded peers and to keep abreast of the latest activity in the impact SGB sector.
Asian Venture Philanthropy Network (AVPN)
Unitus Seed Fund recently became a member of the Asian Venture Philanthropy Network (AVPN). AVPN is a unique funders’ network based in Singapore committed to building a vibrant and high impact philanthropy and social investment community across Asia. As an advocate, capacity builder, and platform that cuts across private, public and social sectors, AVPN embraces all types of engagement to improve the effectiveness of members across the Asia Pacific region.
The core mission of AVPN is to increase the flow of financial, human and intellectual capital to the social sector by connecting and empowering key stakeholders from funders to the social purpose organizations they support. With over 290 members across 28 countries, AVPN is catalysing the movement from traditional philanthropy to social investing for a more strategic, collaborative and outcome focused approach, ensuring that resources are deployed as effectively as possible to address key social challenges facing Asia today and in the future.
Emerging Market Private Equity Association (EMPEA)
Unitus Seed Fund is proud to have become a member of the Emerging Market Private Equity Association (EMPEA). EMPEA is the global industry association for private capital in emerging markets. An independent, non-profit organization, the association’s membership comprises 300+ firms representing institutional investors, fund managers and industry advisors who together manage more than US$5 trillion in assets across 130 countries. EMPEA’s Members share the organization’s belief that private capital is a highly suited investment strategy in emerging markets, delivering attractive long-term investment returns and promoting the sustainable growth of companies and economies. EMPEA supports its members through global authoritative intelligence, conferences, networking, education and advocacy.
Despite significant differences across regions and countries, private capital managers and investors face important common challenges and opportunities. EMPEA’s mission is to foster a vibrant and informed industry to realize investment returns and sustainable growth in emerging markets.